Who Hijacked Our Country

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Obama Gives Rousing Speech on Economy

Yes, Obama “gives a powerful speech but doesn’t accomplish anything” seems to be the standard criticism, from the Left and Right.  Nevertheless, he gave ‘em Hell in his speech today at Knox College in Galesburg, IL.

“With an endless parade of distractions, political posturing and phony scandals, Washington has taken its eye off the ball. And I am here to say this needs to stop.  Job security, with good wages and durable industries, a good education, a home to call your own, affordable health care when you get sick. A secure retirement even if you’re not rich. Reducing poverty, reducing inequality. Growing opportunity. That’s what we need.  Today, five years after the start of that Great Recession, America has fought its way back. We’ve fought our way back.  Over the past 40 months, our businesses have created 7.2 million new jobs. This year, we are off to our strongest private-sector job growth since 1999.”

And:

“I will welcome ideas from anybody, across the political spectrum, but I will not allow gridlock, or inaction, or willful indifference to get in our way.  That means whatever executive authority I have to help the middle class, I’ll use it.  Where I can’t act on my own, and Congress isn’t cooperating, I’ll pick up the phone and call CEOs, I’ll call philanthropists, I’ll call college presidents, I’ll call labor leaders — I’ll call anybody who can help — and enlist them in our efforts.”

And he dared Republicans to “stop taking meaningless repeal votes and share your concrete ideas with the country.”

“Republicans” and “concrete ideas” in the same sentence — that’s gotta be the Mother of all Oxymorons.

The official GOP response was:

“Waaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!  I’m gonna stand here with my arms crossed, my lower lip thrust out, holding my breath ‘til I turn blue, and I’ll keep stamping my feet ‘til they break.  I’m gonna shut down the federal government if I don’t get what I want.”

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I don't get too upset about the president's approval rating going down because (a)it's his second term and (b)the main reason he can't get much done is because he's constantly being blocked by the idiots who control the House.

July 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger jadedj said...

The Republican Congress, fueled by teabagging fat, is the bad cholesterol of our legislating system.

July 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the Republicans the Keystone will answer all of our problems

Yeah Right

Erik

July 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jim: That's right, he's got the advantage with being a lame duck. I hope he uses every executive power gimmick he can possibly muster up. What are they gonna do to retaliate, not re-elect him in 2016?

jadedj: LOL. You've got 'em dialed.

July 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Erik: I guess our comments crossed in the mail, or something. Yup, if Obama disapproves Keystone, it'll prove he's one of those UN Agenda 21 thugs and he wants America's economy to fail.

July 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

We all know who wants the economy to fail! Heh!

If things keep getting better, it would represent a victory for Obama and for the Democrats. So hey, let's keep things from getting better. That works better for us! ;-)

July 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Snave: I agree, if the economy keeps improving, it's a win win. Good for the country and good for the Democrats' image.

July 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home