Who Hijacked Our Country

Friday, March 11, 2011

Wisconsin Firefighters Show Us How It’s Done

Firefighters Local 311 has spoken to Scott Walker — and his fellow corporate puppets — in the one language he understands: Money.

Yesterday, union members withdrew almost $800,000 from Madison’s M&I Bank. Two firefighters had huge savings accounts adding up to $600,000 between the two of them. They each demanded a cashier’s check on the spot.

The executives and board members of M&I Bank were some of Scott Walker’s largest campaign donors last year. The union members’ run on the bank caused M&I to close for the day a few hours early.

M&I Bank was the proud recipient of $1.7 billion in taxpayer bailout money during G.W. Bush’s Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). In other words, the money that M&I Bank donated to Scott Walker and other rightwing candidates was YOUR tax dollars at work.

Yesterday’s action by Firefighters Local 311 was a heartwarming reminder of what each and every one of us can do. When things are going to hell all around you, you don’t have to just sit there fuming helplessly, or sit at your computer typing in a bunch of banal cuss words like a 12-year-old at recess. (Not that I’ve ever done anything like that, but some other bloggers have gotten a little carried away in the past few days.)

We’re not powerless or helpless. What stores and businesses do you patronize? Where do you keep your money?

Every one of us can find some small way to make our voices heard; to make a difference. Now more than ever.


Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jack Jodell said...

Way to go, Wisconsin firefighters!!! M&I is a horsehit bank anyway. The assholes once refused to give me a $10 roll of quarters on grounds that I didn't have an account there---can you believe that arrogance? I left loudly proclaiming "With a policy like that, I'll NEVER have an account here!"

I haven't been back, either---the assholes!

March 11, 2011 at 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Jolly Roger said...

Thew only thing these greedy, stupid sons of bitches understand is when their money gets taken away from them. Let us hope we're witnessing a new beginning.

For the record, I went to a credit union years ago to avoid fattening these bastards up any more than I already do.

March 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger jadedj said...

What a brilliant #%^*ing idea. Talk to the B%@*($*s in their own sorry &ss lingo.

BTW, Tom...I am trying to mature my profane verbal proclivities, by inserting symbols. The thought is still there, however.

Great post!

March 12, 2011 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Don't worry, with each step forward, the puppetmasters push the unwashed two steps back.

March 12, 2011 at 7:58 AM  
Anonymous S.W. Anderson said...

Good for those firefighters and other union members. What an excellent response. I hope the powers that be at M&I Bank are feeling the pain and kicking each other's worthless butts this weekend.

I would like to see a list of all the companies the Koch brothers own and all the products they peddle.

March 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

That's awesome. There are lots of good ways we can fight back.

March 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Tim said...

It's a war! Take no prisoners kind of thing. I mean it's been proven we can't reason with them, so we take them down with the tools at our disposal.
Even if we can't be there, we can support demonstrators via Pizza or what ever small thing we can. The firefighters did a wonderful thing as it will inspire others to do the same.

March 13, 2011 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Dave Dubya said...

Only direct actions by the people can disrupt the fascism of the Right.

March 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Here are some of the things they own:

http://www.politicususa.com/en/defeating-koch-waking-giant

http://www.invista.com/en/brands/index.html

They seem to have their fingers in so many pies, I'm not sure how we can beat them. But we need to try.

The Tea Party members should join us, if they believe that plutocracy is not the right way for America to be run.

March 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Tom Harper said...

Jack: I hadn't heard of that bank before, but I'm glad they got their comeuppance.

JR: Credit unions and local community banks are the way to go.

jadedj: It's the thought that counts.

Randal: Only 2? I thought it was 4 or 5.

SW: I hope this trend will catch on. If everyone pays attention to where they're putting their money, the corporatocracy will have less of a hold on us.

J: I hope this is just the beginning.

Tim: I hope those firefighters have started a trend. These are the tools we have at our disposal, and we all need to use them.

Dave: You're right, this is what it takes.

Snave: Thanks for those two links. That's excellent information; exactly what we need.

March 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM  
Anonymous S.W. Anderson said...

Thank you Snave!

March 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home