Who Hijacked Our Country

Monday, May 23, 2005

Iraqi War Continues to Unravel

Picture George W. Bush as that little Dutch Boy with his finger in the dike. Then another hole appears. And another one. And another one. What’s the poor little Trust Fund Boy supposed to do?

51% of the public thinks the Iraqi war was not worth hundreds of billions of dollars or the lives of over 1,600 American soldiers. (Too bad they didn’t decide that seven months ago.)

And now we all know that the reasons for invading Iraq were totally fabricated. Bush and his English Bitch were planning the Iraqi invasion in 2002. They conspired to fix the “intelligence” around their plan. The ever-shifting emergencies — Weapons of Mass Destruction, connections between Iraq and terrorism — were nothing more than scare tactics to whip the masses into a war whoop.

So he lied and finagled to get us embroiled in a war with a country that wasn’t a threat to us. This war has turned a budget surplus into a record deficit and killed over 1,600 American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians. Can he keep these holes plugged up? Daddy? Karl? Uncle Dick? Oops, more water coming in.

There have been reports of sleazy recruiters, using lies and even threats to “persuade” people to sign up. Everything from covering up students’ criminal records, to providing overweight students with laxatives so they can lose enough weight to pass the physical, to threatening a student with arrest for skipping an appointment with the recruiter.

Recruiters have to meet a certain quota or they go back to the front lines (at least that’s how it was when I was in the Navy), so you almost can’t blame them for being desperate. It’s a tough sell. Who wants to have their tour of duty in Iraq “extended” indefinitely, and be sent into battle with insufficient armor and ammunition? And then finally you come home from Iraq to find you’ve lost your job and you can’t declare bankruptcy because the law just got changed so that banks can crack down on deadbeats like you.

At this point most recruiters are probably wishing for an easier assignment, like selling ice at the North Pole.

The No Child Left Behind Act requires schools to provide students’ names and addresses to recruiters; this is not sitting well with some people. Now some high schools and colleges are debating whether to even allow recruiters on campus. And the pro-war types are reacting with fury at the schools for even considering this.

Are we getting polarized yet? Soon we may have massive campus protests and riots against the war in Viet Nam, er, I mean Iraq.

Uh oh, another hole in the dike: Soldiers are going AWOL from the Iraqi war in much higher numbers than previously estimated. The official Pentagon estimate is 5,133. Unofficial estimates are much higher.

Look out, there’s more water spurting in over here: Returning soldiers are being diagnosed by the thousands with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. By one estimate, more than 10,000 soldiers have sought help for this condition. Nightmares, flashbacks — it’s Viet Nam all over again. The Viet Nam war drove Lyndon Johnson out of the White House. How much longer will Bush be able to cling?

(There used to be a joke about the flashbacks of a Viet Nam draft dodger: “You hear gunshots and you think it’s a car backfiring. And suddenly you’re back at this coffee house in Toronto.” But I digress…)

With everything unraveling around Bush, one of two scenarios is bound to happen: 1) Bush will start frantically yelling “Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.” Or 2) Rove will invent a new hot-button issue to whip the masses into a frenzy and distract them from the Iraqi disaster.

24 Comments:

Blogger Gunga Dan said...

It'll be interesting, and a little scary, to see what they pull out of their hat during the 2006 election year. Meanwhile, in a perfect world, the word "impeachment" would be popping up right about now.

May 23, 2005 at 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother Kenya: Yeah, impeachment sure seems right to me. In an even more perfect world, he wouldn't have gotten "re-elected" last November.

May 23, 2005 at 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rove is versatile-using Newsweek to deflect Galloway was a master stroke.

I wait with a mixture of fascination and horror to see what he comes up with next.

May 23, 2005 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jolly Roger: Oh yeah, he'll think of something. Whatever it is, I hope millions of voters don't fall for it (but they probably will).

May 23, 2005 at 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Democrat: Darth Bushius, I like that. You give a great description of him. I hope more and more people start seeing this.

May 23, 2005 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger erinberry said...

It should be mandatory for all Bush voters to listen to that Galloway speech!

May 23, 2005 at 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erinberry: Yeah, that's exactly what they should have to do. Not that they'd learn anything...

May 23, 2005 at 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. It must be painful day in and day out putting on your equipment and being shot at by Jordanians, Iranians, and Egyptians. I know how you feel the sand and smell was tough for me to get used to. Oh but what, you are sitting comfortably in your little cubical eating your Twix cookie. You are a toad, the worst kind of low life. At least go there and find out for yourself rather than repeating the diatribes of communist central.

May 23, 2005 at 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Toad, I don't see you linked to any e-mail or URL, Lowlife. Either slither out from under your rock and show us who you are or shut the fuck up. "Jeff Fisher," right. Hi, I'm John Smith.

May 23, 2005 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger erinberry said...

See? That's as creative as the right-wingers ever get: calling people "commies." But wait, it gets worse: You're a "twix-eating" commie! LOL.

May 23, 2005 at 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ErinBerry: Even worse, I'm eating the Twix that George Costanza was supposed to get when the vending machine ate his money. Plus being a communist who hates America, etc.

May 23, 2005 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I pick number 2 as it has probably happened a or two or a 100.

May 23, 2005 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger denise said...

I have high hopes for '06, especially since Harry Reid really has emerged as a decent leader of the party. I was wary of his anti-choice stance, but I'm not a single-issue kinda gal.

I'm moving back to Texas (frome Seattle) and I need to brush up on wh's who and what's happening where before heading home. I have rabble-rousing intentions...

-denise

May 23, 2005 at 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WhatBias?: Yeah, I'd guess #2 is more likely. Every time Bush starts to flail, Uncle Karl is right there to spin everything and rescue little Georgie.

Denise: I hope you're right about '06. Public opinion polls are on our side, but you never know what Rove is gonna pull out of his hat.

Good luck with the rabble-rousing. It's what we need.

May 23, 2005 at 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Tom!

Keep on feeling that Bush's world is unraveling around him--but then I think, no--it's a plot to keep me from being active!

One more thing about the recruiters--they're teaching kids how to cheat drug tests--sounds a little against everything that they're supposed to stand for. But I can't really blame the recruiters--they have impossible to meet quotas.

So I guess I have to blame the entire Bush world

May 24, 2005 at 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right--one more thing--you lowlife toad.

If they have nothing to say they just revert to name calling--have an amazing feeling that they're going to be reverting to a lot of that now.

And don't you just love the people who don't have a valid e-mail or url--cowards

May 24, 2005 at 6:10 AM  
Blogger Ignatius M. Dedd said...

This is such a great place...I never get to see this stuff laid out so succictly. When I want to "convert" someone, I'm just going to send them here. Keep it up.

May 24, 2005 at 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing "jeff fischer" is one of those brave patriots that puts a yellow magnet on his car, but screams "communism!" any time someone suggests that perhaps he ought to do a little sacrificing for the cause he believes in so much. Like pay for it.

In that regard (sacrifice,) I'm sure "jeff" is of the same strong backbone as his heroes, who grew a yellow stripe a mile wide when confronted with the idea they might have to carry arms in defense of their country.

These people always (and I do mean always) want someone else to carry the water while they wrap themselves in the flag and scream about self-reliance.

May 24, 2005 at 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pia: Thanks. Those recruiters are in a tough position. They're gonna have to hold out and keep sleazing it like this 'til January 2009 when President Cheney reinstates the draft. (I hope that was just a joke and not a prophecy.)

And recruiters showing people how to cheat on the drug test -- the irony is just too much. When I was in the Navy, most of the lifers were hopeless alcoholics, and their hatred of any other drug was just unbelievable. They were convinced that anyone who smoked marijuana had to be a raging communist drug addicted pervert who wanted to overthrow our government. The more things change...

And the anonymous "Jeff Fisher": I found this rightwing site yesterday where this guy was bragging about going to a pro-war demonstration. So I left a comment saying the best way to demonstrate in favor of the war is to enlist in the Army. He didn't reply in his comment section, but it was right after that that "Jeff Fisher's" comment appeared over here, so I'm guessing it's the same person.

I.M. Dedd: Thanks. I'll send as many people as I can over to the Dead Guy cartoon.

Jolly Roger: It's amazing how many chicken hawks think they're contributing by having a flag decal or a yellow ribbon on their SUV. And some of the right wing bloggers that are chicken hawks are the ones who thunder the loudest when someone mentions the tortures at Abu Ghraib or the civilian deaths in Iraq. They'll roar back with "we're at war, you idiot!" or "This is what happens during a war, you $#*&#*!" And I'm always thinking "right, not that you'd know." Like you said, they'd rather just wrap themselves in the flag and let someone else do the dirty work.

May 24, 2005 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Tom, I have often found out that a good way to shut one of the Chairborne Division soldiers up is to offer to saw stories of military life with them-I wind up doing all the talking ;)

May 24, 2005 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jolly Roger: Yeah, that works every time. I like Chairborne Division. Also the 101st Fighting Chicken Hawks (I saw that on Unfair Witness a few months ago).

May 24, 2005 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I would have to agree that Twix, like flouride, is a communist plot.

Tom, I hope you are not prophetic... If Cheney reinstates the draft in 2009, that not only means the return of the draft, but also that he will be president or still in power by that time.

This week I drove my dad to Boise, ID (about 2.5 hours drive from here) for heart tests. Dad is definitely conservative, although is an intelligent conservative (they do exist). We got talking about politics, and he was describing how happy he was that Dan Rather had to retire. I told him I thought that Bush did the same thing, that is, he either knowingly or unknowingly protrayed false information as truth, and therefore... should Bush lose his job like Rather did? Then when I asked my Dad "Therefore, should Bush be impeached?" we talked about it some more and both agreed it was Cheney that needed impeachment first, because we both believe he is the one who mostly runs things.

To hear MY DAD say "I liked the Bush's first four years o.k., but this last year hasn't been good at all, and I see nothing good happening during the next three years" and to hear him say "I think Dick Cheney is evil!" absolutely made my entire week.

BushCo. has taken someone (my dad) who is normally pretty far to the right and turned him into a moderate Republican. Dad has looked at the way religion is taking over his party, and he has looked at all the breaks given to business at the expense of the rest of us. Things are looking better all the time!

May 27, 2005 at 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snave: I sure hope that joke I made doesn't turn into a prophecy. God, Cheney, that's about the worst possibility.

Hope your father's heart tests turned out OK. Most of my family are Republicans too. Not wingnuts, just Republicans because they've always been Republicans and feel they need to support Republicans that are in office.

But I'm glad more conservatives and Republicans are turning against Bush. At this point I think it's beyond politics. Bush and his henchmen (or puppetmasters, whichever the case is) are powerdrunk and dangerous.

May 27, 2005 at 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greeneyed Lady: I really don't know Bush's exact motive either, or what he's gained by all this. My own guess is that people behind the scenes are pulling most of the strings (during all presidencies, not just this one). I don't believe in any particular conspiracy theories, but I think most of the highranking politicians we've heard of are just puppets for the real players, who operate behind the scenes. Just a guess. I've heard this theory before and it makes more sense to me than anything else.

June 3, 2005 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home